When I was in seventh grade, Smitty and I did a report in science class about lightning. In eighth grade, we went on a school trip to Washington, D.C., and took our first hold-the-camera-ourselves photo. In ninth grade, I rode home with her after school and celebrated our grades and class ranks with her mom. In tenth grade, Smitty gave Mark her stamp of approval when he asked me to the Homecoming dance, reminding me that he used to live down the road from her house. In eleventh grade, we starred in our school’s production of “Arsenic and Old Lace.” (Well, Smitty starred. I was just in it.) During our senior year, we traveled to Kirksville with our parents for a campus tour, both of us leaving with revelations: her, that she did not want to go to Truman; me, that I did. We held a joint graduation party, then went our separate ways. So as freshmen, we figured out how to stay close while living three hours apart, sharing details about boyfriends and classes and piercings and changed majors over the phone and this new technology called e-mail.I could go on, but I’m sure you get the point. Smitty and I have been friends for a long time. What’s funny (to us) is that I recently found a picture of my 6th birthday party, and she was there. We didn’t even remember it!
Smitty is absolutely my best friend, my person. And I’m so thankful for her! But she’s not my only true friend.
In college, I met T-Rex, Triple and Chelley (as well as my Family Group at the BSU and my dorm friends who became life friends), the Iowa-loving, truth-telling friends I will have for life. In grad school (short-lived though it was), I met Amber, the person I may have more in common with than any other. At my first job, I met Colleen, Heidi, Jenn and Jill, the girls who walked with me through rough times with my marriage, as well as amazing successes and devastating failures at work, all while laughing at my ability to become “drunk” over Diet Cherry Cokes. You know about Kevin from my first agency job, but it’s also there that I met Daphne, my copywriter friend who loves country music and small towns and animals and family more than anyone I know. And I can’t forget my church friends – Mandy, Amy, Katie, Jacqueline, Elizabeth – who became so much more than “church friends.” So much more.
These women – along with childhood friends and my new bloggy friends – have listened to me, prayed for me, encouraged me and loved me. And they have made me who I am today. I love my friends, and I am so thankful for them.
What friends are you thankful for today?