home buttonPhotobucketblogroll buttondrama buttoncontact button

Monday, November 17, 2008

Never thought I'd say this...

Some girls are good at sports. And, feminist that I am, I’m all for girls and women getting equal opportunities in the athletic arena. I believe team sports teach young people life lessons that just can’t be found anywhere else. Even, much as it pains me to admit it, in band. I believe athletics in general encourage healthy lifestyles and dedication and ambition. And I believe that showing support for “your” team is one way that schools and communities bond, and that’s a good thing.

In sum, I think sports are great.

But while some girls are good at sports, I am not one of them. Smitty was. She was a good basketball player. Not me, though. It didn’t matter how bad I wanted it or how many hours I stood in my driveway practicing free throws, I am not an athlete. I may be competitive. I may have rhythm. But I am not an athlete.

Nevertheless, I am thankful for the time I have spent in sports. From gymnastics to t-ball to dance lessons to volleyball to basketball to aerobics, I have made friends and learned lessons and received many a health benefit from athletic activities.

I also collapsed, wheezing, on the floor after doing a few too many separators. And tripped over my own two feet running down the court and stood up, mortified, only to hear my own coach holler a joke at my expense. But that’s been so many years ago. I’ve forgiven that wretched coach and focus on the good things I learned from sports. Mostly.


That's me in the back, smack dab in the middle. My dad was the coach of our t-ball team that year, so we're standing in my back yard. That's my friend, Elise, standing next to me. We met playing t-ball. Neither one of us was an athlete.

Did you play sports? Do you now? What have you learned from sports?
blog comments powered by Disqus