home buttonPhotobucketblogroll buttondrama buttoncontact button

Thursday, November 6, 2008

I'm thankful for enough to eat.

When I was growing up, my parents didn't have much money. Sometimes, I think, they didn't have enough money. But we always had plenty to eat.

My entire adult life, I've struggled with money, struggled to pay my bills, struggled to manage my finances, to be a good steward. But I've always had plenty to eat.

So much so that as long as I can remember, I've been overweight. Clearly, I'm not starving. Despite my mistakes with money, God has continued to bless me and provide for me.

Not everyone has been so fortunate. So many - in this country and around the world - live in poverty. They don't worry about fitting into skinny jeans. They worry about finding enough food to feed their families just one meal a day.

This week, as I look into my fully stocked fridge and wonder how I'm going to make it through 5 days with no more Flex points left, a group of people is touring the Dominican Republic to raise awareness of poverty and the work being done by Compassion International. I encourage you to read about their experiences here; it's pretty incredible stuff.

Reading about Compassion has really made me think about how little I do for those living in poverty. I'm thinking and praying about how I can start doing something to help. What about you? Do you do anything to help the least of these?
blog comments powered by Disqus