Working in an ad agency was one of the most fun, frustrating, exciting, and I’ll be honest, scary work experiences I’ve had. And when I “got out” three years ago, I could not have been happier.
Now don’t misunderstand. I am so thankful for my time in that place. I learned a TON about marketing and business in general, and I got the privilege of working with some extremely talented folks. I also improved my ping pong game from embarrassing to passable and managed to memorize the benefits of every specialty dog food on the market. That's important stuff.
But by far the most valuable thing I took away from that job was the friendships I made. I’ve already told you a bit about Kevin. Daphne is the other friend I've kept from that time in my life, and she’s one of my very favorite people in the whole world.
Daphne is a talented writer and has a tender heart. She loves Saturday Night Live and all animals, from her big hound dogs to a baby rabbit she found in her backyard. She has the best curly hair I’ve ever seen, but the girl cannot accept a compliment to save her life.
Me: Hey, Daph, your hair looks great today!
Her: Pshaw! What-EV! I haven’t washed it in two days!
Me: Umm…okay…whatever works for you…
You could look at us and assume that we get along just because of the things we have in common – we’re both from small towns north of Kansas City, we were both in The Wizard of Oz our senior year of high school, we’re both grammar geeks, we both have one-year-old kiddos. I mean, for crying out loud, we were born just a few weeks apart!
But the truth is – she’s just a great person, and I love her to pieces. Daphne is one of the sweetest, funniest, most loyal friends I’ve ever had. And seriously, people, she cracks me up.
But by far the most valuable thing I took away from that job was the friendships I made. I’ve already told you a bit about Kevin. Daphne is the other friend I've kept from that time in my life, and she’s one of my very favorite people in the whole world.
Daphne is a talented writer and has a tender heart. She loves Saturday Night Live and all animals, from her big hound dogs to a baby rabbit she found in her backyard. She has the best curly hair I’ve ever seen, but the girl cannot accept a compliment to save her life.Me: Hey, Daph, your hair looks great today!
Her: Pshaw! What-EV! I haven’t washed it in two days!
Me: Umm…okay…whatever works for you…
You could look at us and assume that we get along just because of the things we have in common – we’re both from small towns north of Kansas City, we were both in The Wizard of Oz our senior year of high school, we’re both grammar geeks, we both have one-year-old kiddos. I mean, for crying out loud, we were born just a few weeks apart!
But the truth is – she’s just a great person, and I love her to pieces. Daphne is one of the sweetest, funniest, most loyal friends I’ve ever had. And seriously, people, she cracks me up.
Happy birthday, Daphne!