home buttonPhotobucketblogroll buttondrama buttoncontact button

Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Have it your way?

Part of my weight loss journey relies on my ability to make different food choices. And that’s hard, after 30 glorious years of enjoying pounds of M&Ms and bags of Doritos. I mean, those were good years!

Then again, they were also years fraught with agony over shopping in the women’s section and panic over once life-threatening blood pressure.

I guess the different choices might not be so bad after all.

And really, they aren’t. Granted, forcing myself to eat more fruits and vegetables is harder than it sounds. (I’m telling you, I don’t care if carrots could somehow eliminate my blind-as-a-bat need for glasses, they would still taste gross.) But let’s be honest – I’m not going to give up good-tasting food, and I’m not going to completely revamp the way I live (or magically find three extra hours in the day to cook those healthy meals I see on TV). So I’ve got to find some compromises – different choices that fit within my life, different choices that I can stick with.

Today I’m happy to report that I have found a couple good ones. Maybe they’ll help some of you in your health goals, too. Those of you who eat out more than you should and aren’t afraid of the golden arches or flame-broiled anything.

First, the fast food winner: McDonald’s Premium Grilled Chicken Classic Sandwich. It’s 9 points (420 calories/10g fat/3g fiber), which is a lot for a sandwich but not a lot for fast food. And it’s good! So far, I’ve gotten it with the mayo, but as I progress in my different choices strategy, I’ll probably leave it off. It’s that good.

And now for the fast food loser: Burger King’s TenderGrill Chicken Sandwich. This one is 11 points (510 calories/19g fat/4g fiber), and it’s not nearly as good as McDonald’s offering. My chicken was dry and overcooked, and there’s no way I’d attempt it without some sort of sauce (you can get it with honey mustard instead of mayo, and the stats are a bit lower). I was pretty disappointed in this choice…and glad I opted for onion rings, despite the 7-point price.
Finally, the best healthier food choice I’ve made recently was at California Pizza Kitchen. I had a cup of tortilla soup, which I’d classify as okay but filling, and then I had the most delicious salad I’ve had in a long time: the BBQ Chicken Chopped Salad (I had a half salad). According to the information I could find, this perfect-sized salad was only 7 points. If they would have brought it with the dressing on the side (as I requested), it would have been even lower.
I know that many of us start new diets – or healthy lifestyle programs – in January, and some of you have mentioned being a part of that group. In your efforts to eat better, have you made any discoveries? (I know Brenda has – check out her delicious grapefruit photo!)
blog comments powered by Disqus