You know that moment when you realize a truth that, now realized, seems so obvious that you have no idea how you missed it until that moment?Sometimes those moments bring profound revelations, deep understandings and opportunities for growth and maturity.
And other times, you just wonder how, in your entire life, it never dawned on you that the melody for The Alphabet Song and Twinkle, Twinkle, Little Star are the same.
Maybe this is something you already know. Perhaps I’m the only person over the age of 4 unaware of the fact that these two songs, along with Baa, Baa, Black Sheep, are sung to the same tune.
But just in case you, too, have been in the dark, consider this your awakening. Not a rude awakening, although I wouldn’t necessarily classify this post as polite either.
Anyway. Isn’t it crazy that I never noticed that? I mean, I knew that Where is Thumbkin? and Frere Jacques were sung to the same melody. I even used Twinkle, Twinkle to learn to hear and read intervals (or at least a fifth). I guess I just didn’t sing about my ABCs enough!
I noticed this amazing coincidence after repeated viewings of Photobaby’s Baby Genius videos. I can’t say if those singalongs are making my daughter brilliant, but they did teach me something!
Your turn: What was – or is, for the young at heart – your favorite children’s song?